For Whole Wheat Tortilla Chips:
1. Whole Wheat Flour/ Atta- 2 cups (200 gms approximately)
2. Olive oil- 2 Tbsp
3. Salt- 1 Tbsp
4.Baking powder- 1 tsp
For the Soybean Dip:
1. Soybeans -1/2 cup (soaked overnight for 12-14 hours)
2. Lemon juice- 2 Tbsp
3. Garlic- 4-5 cloves
4. Green Chilli- 1
5. Salt- To taste
6. Coriander Leaves- For garnish
For Tortilla Chips:
1. Mix the salt, baking powder and oil with the whole wheat flour and add warm water to knead the dough.
2. Roll the dough into circles and cut it along the diameter (with a pizza cutter or knife) to form the triangles.
3. Place the cut out triangles of the dough on a greased baking tray and brush some oil over them.
4. Bake in the convection mode of microwave oven at 200 degree C for 13 minutes flipping it over halfway through.
For the soybean dip:
1. Boil the pre-soaked soybean in water so that the thin translucent shell comes out and floats on top.
2. Put the soybeans, salt, chilli, garlic and lemon juice in a grinder and grind to a smooth paste.
3. Add some chopped coriander as garnish and serve.
Note: This recipe can become both a meal and a snack depending on the quantity you eat. The best part is that it can be cooked and stored and had over time. This recipe hardly uses oil and still gives you a burst of flavours.
One cup soybean gives 28 grams protein which is 1/3rd the daily average requirement. Soybeans contain high amounts of folate, iron, vitamin K, magnesium and calcium. Even though soybean is full of useful nutrients it has been in the centre of controversy since some research in US has claimed that soybean has certain downsides.
Here are the conclusions I had:
1) Eating soybeans for protein instead of meat and milk is healthier.
2) Best to go for soybean in whole form rather than processed.
3) Soybean is not a superfood that should replace other foods. Have it as part of a balanced diet which includes vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes.
4) People in China, Japan and India (Kumaon) have been eating soybean for years without any detrimental effect. So it cannot be as bad as some people make it out to be.
5) Fermented soy products are the best form to have soybean.
I am Annesha, collector,compiler and creator of useful recipes. If you are short on time, ingredients or motivation but still want to eat a healthy meal, this is where you look for meal plans.