1. Boneless Chicken- 150 gms (diced into small pieces)
2. Quinoa- 1/4 cup
3. Tomato- 1 (sliced or chopped)
4. Curry Leaves- 8-10
5. Lemon juice- 1/2 slice of a lemon
6. Garlic - 3-4 cloves (crushed)
7. Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
8. Red Chilli Powder-1/4 tsp
9. Salt- To taste
1. Wash the quinoa well and boil with double the amount of water. Once you see some of the quinoa seeds turning translucent, press some with your fingers to see if they are soft. It usually takes 10 minutes.
2. To heated oil in another pan, add crushed garlic and curry leaves.
3. Next add the sliced tomato and stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the raw chicken and stir.
5. Add the turmeric, salt and red chilli powder.
6.In the end add the lemon juice.
Note: This is a variation of the Quinoa Tabbouleh I had written about earlier. This is my first experimental cooking recipe and it turned out quite good. We like the sour taste of the lemon and the tomato. In case it is not your thing, add a bit of sugar to balance it off.
I have already written about the nutritional benefits of chicken and quinoa earlier. This is a high protein meal with the goodness of green leaves added in the form of flavourful curry leaves.
When we are told to eat more green leafy foods, we think of all the vegetables like spinach, cabbage and lettuce. But herbs like oregano, mint and curry leaves are a great way of adding both nutrition and flavour to your meal.
Did you know that curry leaves lower levels of LDL cholesterol, are high in antioxidants that fight cancer, is rich in fibre, are great for your hair and fight diabetes?
I love pulling out leaves from my curry leaf plant and adding the fresh aroma of the leaves to my meals. You can also grow one easily.
Another way to store the curry leaves is to buy a lot of them, dry them in the sun for 2-3 days and store the dried leaves as powder or as whole.
I am Annesha, collector,compiler and creator of useful recipes. If you are short on time, ingredients or motivation but still want to eat a healthy meal, this is where you look for meal plans.